Kennedy-Lugar Youth Exchange and Study (YES) Program scholarships, fully funded scholarships for Matric and O-Level students in Pakistan to study at American High Schools in the USA and live with American host families for one year. Youth Exchange and Study program is funded by the US government and is open for secondary school students in 39 countries.
High School students will be enrolled for one full academic in American schools in the US, and may also be able to participate in co-curricular and extra-curricular activities to develop a full understanding of American culture by interacting with Americans. Since 2003, the Kennedy-Lugar Youth Exchange and Study (YES) program has provided scholarships to 1,274 high school students from all over Pakistan.
The last date to apply for the YES USA program is October 06, 2023.
Benefits of the YES program for High School Studies in the USA
The program is fully sponsored and the scholarship covers all major costs like Airfare
- US Visa Fee
- Boarding and Lodging in the U.S.A. (Residence and Meals)
- School Tuition and
- $125 per month stipend.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA for YES program in the USA
- Pakistani citizens residing in Pakistan
- Students enrolled in 9th or 10th grade or ‘O’ Levels students. (O’ Level 11th graders are not eligible)
- Applicants must be between the ages of 15 – 17 by the start of the program (August 15, 2024).
- Minimum 60% marks in all major/core subjects (English, Mathematics, Sciences) in the last examination; overall minimum average 60% marks for the past three years. (Students with a gap year or a repeated year are not eligible.)
- Can communicate in English. Minimum 60% marks in English exams during the past three years (2020-21, 2021-22, and 2022-23).
- Have not traveled to the United States.
Note: Minimum 60% marks in all subjects in the examination that will be held before departure to the U.S.A. Students will be required to send their mark sheets for the last examination when they receive the mark sheets.
Students who meet the following in addition to the above criteria are likely to be shortlisted for the final round of selection.
- Pass the Entry Test.
- Know and practice Pakistani culture and values, and be able to represent the same in the U.S. schools and communities.
- Demonstrate maturity, flexibility, adaptability, good character, and scholastic aptitude.
- Willingness to participate in the host family’s daily life.
- Record of all necessary immunizations, as outlined in the Final Student Application, before arriving in the U.S.A.
- Demonstrate flexibility and a commitment to promoting cross-cultural understanding.
- Agreement to attend classes as a full-time student and maintain at least a ‘B’ Grade average in American high school.
- Willingness and agreement to abide by the ‘YES Student Rules’ as outlined in the YES Final Application and all other rules and policies during the program.
- Meet U.S. J-1 visa eligibility requirements.
How to apply for Youth Exchange and Study Program for Study in the USA
STEP-1 Preliminary Application
Students who fulfill the Selection Criteria and agree to the Parent Student Agreement and General Program Rules can apply for the scholarship. They can download the Preliminary Applications from www.yespk.org
and send the documents through the courier SIE office. Female students, students with physical disabilities, and students from non-elite and government schools who meet the criteria are strongly encouraged to apply.
Students who are eligible according to the Selection Criteria but whose schools are not interested in forwarding the YES Preliminary Applications can courier their applications independently.
STEP-2 Entry Test:
- After the initial Preliminary Application screening, short-listed applicants will be notified of the YES Orientation and Entry Test through letters and/or e-mails to their addresses mentioned in the Preliminary Applications. (SIE is not responsible for wrong/incomplete or change in addresses.)
STEP-3 Interview and Group Activity:
- Students who pass the Entry Test will be notified via letters to appear in interviews and group activities.
- Students will be required to fill up the YES Final Application (attached with the letter) and appear in Interviews. (Students are required to appear on the interview day with completely filled YES Final Application along with the required documents.)
STEP-4 Standardized English language test for international students:
- Short-listed students after the interviews will be required to take a standardized English language test for international students.
STEP-5 Final Evaluation:
- The final selection of students will be based on the Entry Test, Interviews and neatly filled completed YES Final Application with all required documents.
- The finalists will be notified by a letter and a Scholarship Acceptance form from the YES program office.
Keep checking the announcement section of the YES website or Facebook page for updates and information.
Important Note: Providing any false/forged documents or information or any discrepancy found at any stage of the selection process will result in the disqualification of the applicant.